Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tenuous Connection


Tycho just referenced Lady Sovereign's Ch-Ching. This had nothing to do with that. In fact I know so little about UK hip-hop I can't tell her apart from the Streets or Kano much less M.I.A. But since I first heard Ch-Ching on a podcast alongside The Drones "Shark Fin Blues" I thought it fitting to give it a mention.

Lyrically reminiscent of a Decemberists see shanty sung by a doomed mariner as the ship sinks and the sharks circle, but with that brilliant Aussie garage-rock sound. The lead singer gives off an immediate Bob Dylan impression but as the song builds up it gives way to Shane McGowan. Some people may think neither of those guys can sing. I'm not one of those people. But its that rhythm guitar that slays me. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home